Sunday, December 26, 2010

dessert with a potato

I have one more to post on potatoes and then I am ready to move on to something else. How about you Mary? Do you have any more for potatoes or do we move on?
This recipe is one that my family loves to make and eat. It goes by a few different names, but being from the south we just call it "taters".


Tater candy - aka peanut butter pinwheels

1 medium sized potato, peeled
powdered sugar
peanut butter
vanilla extract

Peel your potato and place it in a pot of boiling water. Let boil extra long. Remove from heat, drain, and let cool. With hand mixer mash potato into a creamy consistency. Add powdered sugar a little at a time until too thick to use mixer. Add vanilla and mix again. The batter should be like cookie dough. Spread a little powdered sugar on flat surface. Roll out half the mixture to about 1/8 " thickness. Spread peanut butter over entire surface at about the same thickness. Begin rolling from edge until you have a nice little log. cover with wax paper (I just use the wax paper as my rolling surface and wrap it all up after it is rolled). Put in refrigerator and let chill for about an hour. Repeat with remaining dough mixture.
Remove from refrigerator and cut logs into 1/2" slices. Enjoy!

Happy cooking and good eating!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I think that is a very good recipe to bring our homage to the potato to an end! Who would have thought of that??? S/he must have been the world champion potato lover (or snowed in unexpectedly)!! LOL I am up on the mountain in my third day of snow. I love it but there are things I have to do--like ride a horse for a client who is considering buying it--that means I have to drive, and I can't do that until the ice/snow is gone!

    ReplyDelete