Monday, November 29, 2010

Dinner Tonight

I have to remember to put dinner on plain white plates to take pictures.  The foods get lost on these flowery ones, don't they?

This is my Pork Tenderloin and Creamy Mashed Red Potatoes with Pan Gravy and Sauteed Veggie Mix (fresh, of course).

The Tenderloin is pretty straightforward.  Bake it in the oven until the internal temperature is about 160*F.  Here is my 'secret' tip for roasting--after preparing the meat with whatever rub or marinade, etc. that you want, always sear the meat on the stovetop in a hot, heavy, nonstick pan with a little olive oil before putting it in a baking dish in the oven, so that the outside carmelizes (for intense taste) and browns (for visual appeal).
I can certainly provide my method for the tenderloin, but it is so straightforward, that the only thing you have to do besides searing it is experiment with marinades, dry or wet rubs, herbs and spices to your own taste.

What I would like to talk about is the potatoes.  I used a Red Potato, and left the skin on.  I like doing this because I think it gives a good taste, preserves more of the natural vitamins and minerals (I am told), and adds visual interest (can you tell that I eat with my eyes?--hey, presentation is everything! LOL).
I ask you--do you use whole milk, skim milk, cream, chicken stock/broth, or smething else for mashing your potatoes?  I use heavy whipping cream, sometimes sour cream, and butter for mine.  I realize that I am surely not saving calories, and if I were on a diet I could use something lighter, but the difference in taste can't be compared!

If you had to choose, would you rather substitute an ingredient to have less calories (using skim milk instead of cream, or 'fake' cheese instead of real cheese--don't get me started about butter vs. margarine; there is no calorie savings there!), or would you use the good (read: fattening) stuff and just cut your portions?
I don't like giving up anything (taste or portion), but when watching calories, I give up portion much more happily than giving up taste.  What do you do?

4 comments:

  1. I try to cut a little bit of the super rich stuff, shrink the portions and wiggle more!! I always have used nonfat milk in my mashers, and they're good! A little garlic doesn't hurt, either, and adds a richness of flavor if not calories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily. Thanks for the comment! I used to use the skim milk (my mom always did), and they do taste good. But then one time all I had was heavy cream so I used that, and OMG. The taste and texture difference is amazing! You don't even need gravy. I absolutely agree with you about the garlic! I sometimes add some Dubliner Irish Cheddar too. Potatoes are a great vehicle for all kinds of different spice/herb combinations--Rosemary comes to mind; and chives or dill....I am getting hungry. LOL Momma T, maybe we should devote a whole post to paying homage to the potato.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good Emily. Mary, what a wonderful idea - ode to the potato. Or as they say up here "tater". lol I do believe you should use different plates for the pictures. The design tends to take away from the actual food.
    So - how many potato dishes do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got it Momma T! Thanks for the opinion on the plates. I will remember that! I know tons of good potato recipes...what about you? Should we dedicate a week of posts to the potato?

    ReplyDelete