Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Garden

Mary,
Yes, society needs to stop putting up with what the government "dictates" we have available to eat. I really enjoy having a garden. The worst part is that the location is in a back field and I have to drive and go past my mother in laws house to get to it. She can be a bit nosy at times. lol AND she lets me know that how I do my gardening is not the way they always did it when she was growing up or even when she put a garden out. I love her, but I like doing my garden my way not hers. She does have good tips and ideas on canning produce which I readily listen to and use.
We have decided that with our garden this year, we will plant extra and donate that to our church. The church has a food pantry and I know first hand that the food received from a pantry is not the healthiest. It is great to have food to prepare and even better to receive food for free. We want to be able to give something to the community that they don't normally get.
I have thought about setting up a stand on the side of the road, but there are so many people who do that. The competition just wouldn't make it worth it. Plus, living as far out as we do it would mean driving a good distance and not only packing up the produce, but plan for enough water, food, etc. to last sitting out in the sun somewhere all day. I just don't have the patience to sit all day like that, especially alone and I know I would be alone.
I like the idea of putting our comments in separate posts instead of commenting on a post. Eventually I am sure that we will have followers. Somebody will catch a glimpse of our blog and tell someone else, and so on and so on. Until then.... I think what we are doing is just fine. We are able to share recipes, thoughts, ideas, and some pretty good tips.
I love the bread recipes! My associate pastor has been posting food that she has been cooking with all the snow days we've had and she is just killing me with all the bread, buns, cookies, and main dishes she prepares. She is Italian and she loves to cook and makes lots of it. I start drooling when I read what she is making. Keep the bread recipes coming. I have never been real big on making bread, but lately have thought about attempting some. I think I have some chicken feathers to pluck off myself first. ha ha
Ready for Spring and plowing and planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment