Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Not the Gub'mint's Mac-N-Cheese

I consider myself a foodie, and I like to think I have a relatively sophisticated palate.  Why is it, then, that my favorite dish in the whole world is Macaroni and Cheese?
Growing up, I never knew we were poor.  The reason that I never knew we were poor is that my mother made macaroni and cheese for us about once a week.  To me, it was the most decadent stuff on the planet, and I knew that we had to be rich to be able to afford such a rich, scrumptious dish. HAH!  It wasn't until I was sitting around with the family, telling stories of our youth  (in my thirties, no less), that I piped up and said how much I loved it, and my brother and sisters agreed and that we were so lucky to be able to have macaroni and cheese so much growing up....well, my mom started chuckling in the way only a mom who has a long-kept secret over her children can chuckle......and when we questioned her, she 'fessed up.
Seems that the US Government had a program for (poor) military families in which they GAVE AWAY cheese and milk.  She told us we were so poor that we had to depend on these offerings because the monthly salary that my dad made didn't last until the end of the pay period, so we couldn't afford meat from time to time. LOL
I never knew......
Anyway, the news didn't dampen my affinity for the Mac-n-Cheese.  No, not boxed mac-n-cheese that you buy in the store.  We couldn't afford that (thankfully).  My mom made it from scratch, and that is what I do.  However, I will say that I have strayed from the original recipe and this is not my mother's Mac-N-Cheese.
Take heart in the knowledge that you will not feel deprived with this version.  Sigh, the Gub'mint's subsidy cheese is not represented here. 

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons Butter
1 healthy tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 ounces Gruyere Cheese, cubed
4 ounces mild Cheddar, cubed
4 ounces Muenster Cheese, cubed
4 ounces Gouda Cheese, cubed
3/4 lb. elbow macaroni (I like Muellers)
2 qts. water
1 generous tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
3/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon Butter

Bring water to a boil in a 4 Quart saucepan.  Add salt and macaroni and cook according to directions on the box.  When finished cooking, drain immediately in a strainer or collander.  I cook it al dente and don't rinse my pasta.
In a separate 3 or 4 Quart saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter, add the flour to the melted butter, stir until velvety and cook on low heat until the mixture becomes blonde.  Add milk and cream, and cook on medium heat, stirring almost constantly, until the sauce thickens. Add the cheeses, a bit at a time and let it melt, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.  When the cheese is melted, add the nutmeg, stir to incorporate, and then add the macaroni.  Stir to coat and combine all ingredients fully.
Transfer mixture to a baking dish or baking tin, about 9"x12" inches.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small dish.  Add panko breadcrumbs and toss to coat evenly.  Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese mixture.  Bake in a preheated 400*F oven until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the cheese is lightly bubbling on the sides of the dish--about 15-20 minutes.  You can use this as a side dish for almost any protein or as a stand-alone casserole, like I do.

1 comment:

  1. I have one very short comment to make on this post.
    Yummmmmmmm !!!

    ReplyDelete