Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Beef Kidneys and Kale in Wine/Cream Sauce

I haven't posted lately, but to be honest, I haven't done much cooking.  I have been really busy in my business (riding/teaching Dressage), and my poor hubby doesn't get dinner (or leftovers for lunch).  According to him, I am trying to starve him. LOL That is not true, I swear.
So the other day, when I got back into town after teaching a riding clinic and judging a schooling show, I went grocery shopping, and found some beautiful beef kidneys. So I bought them.

Now, I have never prepared kidneys before, but being the adventurous eater that I am (and knowing that hubby and I like both beef heart and liver), I decided they were too beautiful to pass up.  After all, they are organs (offal), just like the others.
They do have a slightly stronger odor than the other organs, and so I decided to look up preparation ideas online.  Even though it is very cheap ($1.19 per pound in Publix), I didn't want to prepare it incorrectly and waste a perfectly edible source of protein, and I am glad that I listened to my gut (no pun intended).  There is a secret, I found out!  Here is a link to a Mother Earth News article on Beef Kidneys--How to Eat for Less: the Secret to Organ Cookery. It is a fine article.

Prepare the kidneys according to the article, and then try this recipe:

*1 pound of egg noodles (or other noodle or pasta of choice)
*1 pound beef kidney--cut away the core and membrane and slice thinly (the kidney I bought was 1.6 pounds, but by the time you cut away the core/membrane, I think you will have about 1 pound)
*3 large leaves of Kale, cut chiffonade style (thin strips)
*2 cups mushrooms, sliced (White or Crimini)
*1 medium onion, thinly sliced
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*1/2 cup sour cream
*1/2 cup dry red wine
*1 tablespoon brown mustard
*small bunch of fresh thyme, marjoram and basil, finely chopped
*1 teaspoon of corn starch for thickening

Prepare noodles or pasta according to package directions.
Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat.  Add EVOO, heat until oil shimmers, and then add mushrooms. Saute until golden brown.  Add kidneys, and brown 2-3 minutes.  Add Kale and saute another 2-3 minutes.  Add the Wine and Mustard and let cook down for a few minutes.  Add the cornstarch to thicken if needed.  Add the herbs at the last minute, turn the heat down to medium-low, and stir in the sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.  Let cook for 2-3 minutes to let the ingredients meld together, stirring often.

Plate over the noodles, serve with some crusty bread if desired and pair with the red wine you cooked with.  I paired this with the Spanish "Lar de Lares 2002 Tempranillo".  I hope you like this as much as my hubby and I did (he no longer thinks I am out to starve him, or poison him. LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment